Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I'm in Americaland!! Whoa! (1 of 3)

I've been vacationing here in the US for the past few weeks (spending time in Northern Virginia, Fredericksburg, DC, Baltimore, and Dewey Beach) and am headed back to Burkina today. I can't thank everyone who helped organize getting friends/family together enough - you all helped make this my favorite vacation of the past few years. I've had a wonderful time and got to see sooo many of the people I love the most in this country. And now, I'm also very excited to head back to my second home.

To help explain a bit of what it’s been like to go from 2 years in Africa to 2 weeks in the US, my Momma came up with some questions for me to answer. The post I started writing seemed to go on and on, so I’ve split the 3 questions into 3 different posts. Enjoy!

Q: What do you miss the most about Burkina?

A:
Easy! The people!
My best friend Zalle, his family, our other co-workers, and my family from my old site and from training are especially missed. I can't wait to go and just...sit with them, eat with them, hold their babies, and talk with them - about everything and nothing.

I also miss the interactions with random strangers who seem to want to do nothing other than help you with whatever you need and strike up conversations about the most random things. I can't wait for that next convo with random-person-i-happen-to-be-sitting-next-to-on-the-bus. Not that I always loved having those conversations in the past (don't mess with Mama during nap time!), but from here - land where strangers are weird if they talk to one another for too long - I totally miss this.

I also, of course, miss my Peace Corps - and MCC ;) - people that have been sweating it out in the Faso as I fall asleep on a cushy couch in front of a blaring "Real Housewives of New Jersey". I know you all are jealous, but I'm bringing presents...

No comments:

Post a Comment