Friday, June 5, 2009

Soaking it up

Here I am, less than a week away from The Big Day, packing and checking off to-do lists like mad, and (the best part) enjoying being in the midst of many lovely going away gatherings...

And it feels a little overwhelming. Not that that's a bad thing. I feel like I'm on the brink of experiencing a lot of Life (you know, because I've been dead up until now...). After 22 years of gaining many bits of experience/knowledge and a ton of support, I feel as ready as I'll ever be for this big big journey.

The last few weeks have felt very interesting. America already looks quite different to me when I'm thinking about all the little luxuries I'll soon be leaving. And all the people in my life who mean a lot to me (I bet you're among them if you've stumbled upon this blog) are just these treasures that I'd love nothing more than to sit next to and soak up like a sponge so that I can take them along with me when I go.

So, I'm soaking it all up and soaking you all up (twss?) in the midst of packing it all up and finishing it all up. And it all makes me smile and cry. :)

Whew, now that all that mush is over - a few quick practicalities. I don't know how easy it will be to keep this blog going strong in Burkina given the internet and electricity availability, but I'm gonna try my hardest to do so. I'll also try my hardest to make this something interesting and not too cliched to read.

As for the big dates coming up: Tuesday morning I get on a train to Philly where I'll meet all my fellow Burkina Faso PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees). Wednesday morning we get all our shots and Wednesday night we fly off to Ouagadougou (with a brief mid-way layover in Paris).

Silly pictures of me with my big old bags to come...

For now, thanks for stopping by and make sure we get a good goodbye in however we can! You know it goes without saying that I'll miss you all very much...

4 comments:

  1. HEY EMILY! My name is Devin and I will be with you in Burkina in a few days. And you are SO right the last few days and weeks have been quite interesting...to say the least LOL. Well I hope you are well and your packing is coming along great! Cya in a few.

    Peace,
    Devin,

    P.S. a few of the other volunteers have met up via internet on this website. Join up! Or at least browse :o) Ciao!

    http://community.peacecorpsconnect.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I am excited to meet you in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I been thinking of ya , grrrl how's it goin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice blog, Emily. Keep up the good work. Perhaps good to create RSS feeds so we just get these updates delivered to email? Just an idea. Feedburner's a natural, since you are working with google already. see https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=feedburner&continue=http%3A%2F%2Ffeedburner.google.com%2Ffb%2Fa%2Fmyfeeds&gsessionid=Xvw3ZRPxALNJp9Nm2JBAew

    ReplyDelete